#11 Keith Marciniak

Features-Headshot---Keith-Marciniak

I (Charlie Broussard) first met Keith in June of 2002, when he not only attended the APhA sponsored, University of Utah School on Alcoholism and Other Drug Dependencies in Salt Lake City, Utah, for the first time, but he was also the Leader for the Pharmacy Section. It was my 7th year attending and there had always been 3 Leaders. Talk about a deer in the headlights. Somehow Keith pulled it off, the week was a success. During and after that week he reached out to some of us Alums and asked for out input. The next year he asked me to be a Co-Leader with him. Not as an Assistant, but Co-Leader. This to me said a lot about his character. He and I have been working together ever since. Each year at the end of the week we say, “this was the best week so far”. He has been so instrumental in welcoming more and more Student Pharmacists to attend, that we end up with an overflow waiting list every year. 

In 2014 the University of Utah discontinued the School after 32 years of APhA Involvement. In 2015, because of his vision and stick-to-itiveness this vital program now continues as an APhA Institute. The first years there were a few “loose ends” to the Institute that required on site quick fixes, but just like his first year in 2002, it worked. It has continued to attract 400+ attendees each year. Unfortunately with the mandatory quarantine, the 2020 session had to be canceled. 

images