#15 Missy Skelton-Duke

IMG_2282

This was written about Missy when she was nominated for the APhA-APPM, Distinguished Achievement Award in Service.

"If I had to come up with a phrase that would describe Missy, in all my professional work with her: “Here To Serve” is what comes to mind. 

I first met Missy in June of 2006, when she attended the APhA sponsored, University of Utah School on Alcoholism and Other Drug Dependencies in Salt Lake City, Utah, as a student pharmacist. I was part of the staff for the Pharmacy Section of the School. Even though Missy was one of 200+ student pharmacists in attendance, as the week progressed she clearly began to stand out as a leader and mentor. In June of 2007, she returned as a volunteer to serve as a Student Ambassador. Here she assisted first time attendees with their orientation and guidance throughout the week. In this role she was a productive worker as well as a team player often demonstrating an ability to take charge, initiate actions and make solid recommendations. 

Fast forward: Missy has returned to the Utah program every year since then. After graduating she became one of the Advisors and Co-Leaders of the Pharmacy Section of the School through 2014, when the University of Utah discontinued it after 32 years of APhA Involvement. In 2015, with her help this vital program continued as an APhA Institute.

In June of 2015, Missy returned once again as a Co-Leader and as she put it, “to do whatever is needed” to assist with the new APhA Institute on Alcoholism and Drug Dependencies, in Salt Lake City, Utah. The first years there were a few “loose ends” to the Institute that required on site quick fixes, which she and her laptop would jump into action to quickly resolve. Again, during the Institute, I saw her lead by example never talking down to anyone, always positive and helpful, especially to Student Pharmacists transitioning into their “professional years” of classes. She infused new ideas and brought enthusiasm each day of the Institute. Her Generation Rx presentation and mentoring the attendees with their school’s programs was well received. The Institute with her help was a success and attendance has grown each year. To this day she serves as a Co-Leader"